Day 119: Senseless Day 2  

Posted by Sarah in , , , ,

Today's Task: 3/24

"Go through the day without using your sense of hearing."


Acquire some earplugs. earmuffs or just put some headphones in which muffle outside noises. This day will be hard for me, personally, since I answer phones all day and LOVE music. But I will try my best to block out noises when I can.


This would also be a good day to try learning some sign language. ASL has a huge dictionary full of animated gifs for those of you wanting to learn something new or just to translate a favorite phrase: http://www.handspeak.com/tour/index.php


Once the day is over, try listing some pros and cons for this sense deprivation. Then decide how important hearing is to you and rate it on a scale of 1-10 (10 being VERY important). I will update this post at the end of the end of the day with my analyisis.

***UPDATE***
I tried it for as long as I could stand, but silence bores me. Even when it's seemingly peaceful, my mind and ears tune in to all the small noises. I love my ears. I love the sounds of this city. I couldn't ever imagine giving them up voluntarily for an entire 24 hours. My end-of-the-day rating is 8/10. I can tolerate peace when I have a headache or when my heart is racing and noise exacerbates the situation. Other than that, I really love listening. :)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at Tuesday, March 24, 2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

wow .. i really like your blog

so how did you rate your hearing ?

March 25, 2009 at 5:05 AM

I'd rate it very high. At least an 8. I love music way too much to forgo hearing voluntarily for very long. :)

March 25, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Post a Comment